The process of making art can be very meditative and therapeutic. Whether it’s making a painting, sculpting clay or using other mediums to create something new, the art therapy benefits that many seniors experience are profound. Art therapy is growing in popularity, and it is easy to see why!
What Is Art Therapy?
Art therapy is defined as combining psychological theories and techniques with the creative process and visual arts to improve sensory-motor function, cognitive abilities and psychological health. Art therapy for seniors can help to improve dexterity, keep the mind sharp and allow seniors the chance to socialize with others in a positive environment.
What Are the Art Therapy Benefits for Seniors?
- Seniors who participate in art therapy often have a more positive outlook on life and are less likely to experience depression. Art helps seniors to express feelings, especially ones that are hard to say out loud. By expressing those feelings, they can sometimes be easier to cope with.
- Some studies indicate that seniors who have art therapy visit the doctor less frequently and require fewer medications.
- Art therapy offers intellectual stimulation, which is very important for seniors who are at a high risk of dementia or Alzheimer’s. Painting, drawing, sculpting and other forms of art like creating collages help seniors to expand their minds and think outside of the box. Creating new things can also sometimes help to stimulate the senses for seniors who struggle with memory issues.
- Another prominent art therapy benefit is that it helps to improve motor skills and decrease pain. Most types of art therapy require small, coordinated movements. These movements can increase dexterity and make it easier to move around. Purposeful movement also helps to distract seniors from the pain or discomfort that they may feel and instead think about what they are working on.
- Depending on the program, art therapy can involve a great deal of socialization. Through creating art in a group setting, seniors can express themselves and create connections with others in a positive and supportive environment.
Frame Your Beautiful Art Creations at The Chessler Company
Family owned and operated since 1959, Chessler Company specializes in providing professional picture framing services to senior centers and residential customers. To learn more, call us at (410) 358-5161, and let us decorate for you!